Eye-catching twist in Kenei’s murder probe

Eye-catching twist in Kenei’s murder probe


The late Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei, who was attached to DP William Ruto’s office. Investigations into his death are still ongoing

The probe into the unnatural death of Sergent Kipyegon Kenei – an Administration Police officer attached to the Deputy President’s office – took a new twist this weekend after detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) raided the deceased’s Imara Daima house on Saturday, May 23, after they developed new leads in the case.

The sleuths stormed into Villa Franca Estate at around 7 p.m. in a troop of five cars and went straight into Kenei’s house.

This is according to the Nyumba Kumi Chairman of the estate’s Twiga Court, Peter Amunga, who additionally claimed that DCI boss George Kinoti might also have been present at the scene.

“There were reports Kinoti was present. The car that was on the scene is alleged to be his, I did not see him alight his car, but I know his colleagues since they were here last time. They told us they were going to be there for a long time because they have developed some new leads but they have refused to reveal the leads,” Mr. Amunga told reporters of a local tabloid.

Mr. Amunga also noted that residents were unable to figure out the DCI’s activities at the scene since the house had been completely cordoned off from the public.

“I can’t really tell what they have been doing. There is a gate which is locked and they have officers stationed outside so no one can enter, we were just watching from outside. They evacuated everybody from the house, it had a yellow tape up till now saying it is a crime scene. Kenei was living in a servants’ quarter but the owner of the main house was told to evacuate the house,” Twiga Court Nyumba Kumi Chairman Peter Amunga

Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei, who worked at Deputy President William Ruto’s Harambee House Annex office, was found dead on Thursday, February 20, 2020 inside his house.

RELATED: The Night Sergeant Kipyegon Kenei Was Killed

His controversial and puzzling death came in the wake of the Sh39 Billion fake arms deal scandal where former Sports Cabinet Secretary and a close ally of the second-in-command Rashid Echesa was implicated.

Kenei was reportedly supposed to be off duty on the day Echesa and other suspects in the scandal visited Ruto’s office.

Last month, a set of new officers took over investigations into Kenei’s death.

Those who were previously assigned to the case were transferred from DCI following the discovery of loopholes in their report.

A key official from the investigating team was at the time quoted saying there were plans to consider incorporating the Federal Investigation Beaureu but it was agreed that local officers could do the job just as well.

Emerging reports now show that more arrests in relation to the case are set to be made following yesterday’s raid.

Source link