Blame game reigned supreme on Monday morning after a two-storey classroom collapsed in Dagoretti South’s Ngando ward, killing seven and injuring at least 57 others.
Official government reports indicate that out of Precious Talent School’s 800 pupils, only 200 who occupied the building were affected, with Spokesperson, Cyrus Oguna, promising parents the government will take care of their medication.
Area MP John Kiarie took issue with the quality of the building, after a section of parents claimed they had warned the school management of the danger, weeks before the Monday morning incident.
Kiarie told reporters that the classroom was made from substandard materials, which could have led to the death of the pupils at the school.
However, Precious Talent School Manager Mr Moses Wainaina Ndirangu rubbished the claims, instead, laying the blame squarely on a suspected sewer line near the institution.
Ndirangu claimed the construction of the sewer line had severely weakened the buildings in the school, leading to the morning tragedy.
A KCPE candidate has since been confirmed dead from the incident, which left traumatised pupils scampering for safety.
Parents running to the school were left anxious after all pupils ran out of the school, leaving rescuers to pull several of their colleagues from under the rubble.
Initial reports indicated that the class collapsed at 6:50 am but the Nairobi County emergency services and Red Cross would arrive one and a half hours later.
Students injured in the tragedy are said to have sustained deep cuts and fractures from the iron sheet walls of the storey building.
Road is narrow. Don’t drive to the inside. It’s a mess. pic.twitter.com/dEeDRF28md
— Robert Alai (@RobertAlai) September 23, 2019
Nominated senator Millicent Omanga said the blame was on the government, as public land in the area had been grabbed. The area lacks a public school.
Omanga also said Ngando area had been sidelined and that the roads were narrow, further hampering rescue operations in the school.
Agitated members of the community are now calling for the Ministry of Education to take their share of the blame, citing bribery of quality-assurance inspectors.